Tuesday 6 March 2012

Coconut oil

Hello everybody.  My apologies I have been MIA for a little too long.  I have been so busy at the moment with lots on that I have unfortunately neglected my blog.  I hope you are all well and have been keeping fit, healthy and happy.

This afternoon I was preparing dinner and was thinking about how great my ingredients were that I thought one in particular would make a great topic of discussion.  Behold the wonder Coconut oil !!



I have been using coconut oil for cooking for a few months now...comes hand in hand with Paleo.  I must say I was sceptical to begin with as it looked like ..well to be honest - lard, but am quite happy with using it now and am actually enjoying the taste.

There has been so much written about coconut oil of late that I thought would be good to give you a little info on it.

Coconut oil used to be regarded as bad oil, high in saturated fat and basically not good for  our diet.  Scientists have now discovered that it is actually a different sort of saturated fat that reacts differently in our bodies.  It really is all to do with the fat molecule found in the oil.  It is made up mainly of medium chain fatty acids AKA -medium chain triglycerides. This is what gives it its health benefit qualities.

Most foods containing saturated and unsaturated fats consist of long-chain fatty acids.  When these are consumed these fats are stored in the body.  MCFA found in coconut oil are different to LCFA.  Unlike other fats it is not stored in the body.  The MCFA are processed in the liver and used for energy immediately.  This is why athletes, especially runners use coconut oil and water as natural energy drinks.  It does not have a bad effect on cholesterol and help protect against heart disease.

The goodness in the coconut oil is basically due to the MCFA found that makes it so good for our bodies and so healthy.

Miranda Kerr swears by her coconut oil.  She has said that she consumes 4 teaspoons every day, whether it be on her salads, in her tea (yuk) or just eats it straight.  It is claimed that it aids in weight loss also.  The type of oil aids in increasing metabolism through a thermogenic effect in the body...ie..calories being burned.

I wouldn't go as far as taking spoonfuls of it but for the moment am happy using it for cooking and baking..very yummy in banana bread.

I thought I would share...give it a try.....oh forgot to add, its actually little pricey too....that jar above cost $12.

Have a relaxing night  xx







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!